Donation Policy and Forms
Gifts Accepted at MLHS
These donations keep tuition as low as possible. Parents, grandparents, and friends make gifts to assist with the cost of providing Christian education to loved ones; alumni make gifts in thanks for those who supported their own tuition and in turn assist the next generation. Memorials & tribute gifts provide opportunities to thank God for the blessings He gave during a loved one's life or to celebrate a special event.
While planning goes into every gift, "planned" giving generally refers to larger, special, or future gifts made through various financial instruments or strategies. Donors structure gifts that may provide life income, avoid capital gains taxes, or pass assets to family members. Many gifting strategies exist, including:
- Wills & Revocable Living Trusts. Most any type of asset may be given to MLHS via one's will or revocable trust.
- Beneficiary Designations. IRAs, 401k & other qualified retirement plans, annuities, and life insurance policies may list MLHS as a beneficiary. Such assets transfer immediately, outside of probate, and when coordinated properly can provide income tax benefits to heirs.
- Life Insurance. Policies may also be gifted directly to MLHS during the insured's lifetime. The donor may receive a current income tax deduction, the death benefit of the policy is removed from the estate (potentially reducing additional taxes), and MLHS may receive the death benefit at the insured's passing.
- Stocks & Securities. Gifting appreciated securities is often more advantageous than cash or check as the donor can deduct the full fair market value while paying no capital gains tax on any growth since purchses. Tax savings make the actual "cost" of the gift less than one made by cash or check.
- Charitable Gift Annuities. Donors transfers cash or property to MLHS in exchange for a partial tax deduction and a lifetime stream of annual income; the income may be largely- or partially- tax free. The amount of the income stream is determined by many factors including the donor's age and current interest rates. When the donor dies, MLHS receives the gift.
- Many other gifting vehicles also exist, and may be appropriate for your situation. Working together with you, your financial advisor, attorney, and/or tax advisor, our Development staff can provide suggestions to best meet your goals.
Many donors maximize their gifts to MLHS by making use of matching gift programs available through their employers. Below are just a few of the local companies among the thousands in America that provide matches for their employees.
Please use this search tool or contact us to see if your employer has such a program.
- Appleton (Papers)
- Gannett Co. (Herald Times Reporter, Green Bay Press Gazette, Appleton Post-Crescent, & other newspapers)
- Kimberly Clark
- Northwester Mutual
- Quad Graphics
- Robert W. Baird & Co.
- Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
The MLHS Endowment Fund holds & invests funds earmarked for MLHS. Many generous gifts have expanded its balance to over $2 million. Principle is maintained, and only income is distributed each year. The Endowment Fund currently supports MLHS by providing funds for:
- General operating assistance
- Needs-based tuition assistance
- Tuition assistance for MLHS alum attending one of our pastor/teacher training colleges
- Capital improvement projects
A list of non-budgeted items is maintained to further support the academic, athletic, fine art, and other co-curricular program. See the Wish List here.
Secure, Fast & Confidential