We know our heavenly Father gives us all we have. In thankfulness, we respond to His grace by giving of our time, talent, and treasure in His service.
Gifts of cash, stock, bequests, and memorials support current needs, capital campaigns, and the Endowment fund. Volunteer opportunities allow everyone to support our students in some way. Fundraising events not only support educational and extra-curricular programs, but also gather MLHS students, alumni, congregations, and community in support of our students.
Current Gifts (General Fund, Tuition Assistance, Academic Vouchers)
These donations keep tuition as low as possible. Parents, grandparents, & friends make gifts to assist with the cost of providing Christian education to loved ones; alumni make gifts in thanks for those who supported their own tuition and in turn assist the next generation. Memorials & tribute gifts provide opportunities to thank God for the blessings He gave during a loved one's life or to celebrate a special event.
Planned & Estate Gifts
While planning goes into every gift, "planned" giving generally refers to larger gifts made through various financial instruments or strategies. Donors structure gifts that may provide life income, avoid capital ganes taxes, or pass assets to family members substantially free of taxes. Many gifting strategies exist, including:
- Wills & Revocable Living Trusts. Most any type of asset may be given to MLHS via stating such direction in one's will or revocable trust.
- Beneficiary Designations. IRAs, 401k & other qualified retirement plans, annuties, and life insurance policies may have MLHS listed as a beneficiary. Such assets transfer immediately, outside of probate, and when coordinated properly can provide income tax benefits to one's heirs.
- Life Insurance. Policies may also be gifted directly to MLHS during the insured's lifetime. The donor may receive a current income tax deduction, the death benefit of the policy is removed from the estate (potentially reducing additional taxes), and MLHS may then in the future receive the death benefit at the insured's passing.
- Stocks & Securities. Gifting appreciated securities is often more advantageous than giving cash, as the donor can deduct the full fair market value while paying no capital gains tax on any growth since purchses. The tax savings make the actual "cost" of the gift less than one made via cash.
- Charitable Gift Annuities. A donor transfers cash or property to MLHS in exchange for a partial tax deduction and a lifetime stream of annual income; the income may be largely- or partially- tax free. The amount of the income stream is determined by many factors including the donor's age and current interest rates. When the donor dies, MLHS keeps the gift.
- Many other vehicles also exist, and may be appropriate for your situation. Working together with you, your financial advisor, attorney, and/or tax advisor, our Development staff can provide suggestions to best meet your goals.
Many donors maximize their gifts to MLHS by making use of matching gift programs available through their employers. Below are just a few of the local companies among the thousands in America that provide matches for their employees. Please use the search tool at right or contact us to see if your employer has such a program.
- Appleton (Papers)
- Gannett Co. (Herald Times Reporter, Green Bay Press Gazette, Appleton Post-Crescent, & other newspapers)
- Kimberly Clark
- Northwester Mutual
- Quad Graphics
- Robert W. Baird & Co.
- Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
The MLHS Endowment Fund holds & invests funds earmarked for MLHS. Many generous gifts have expanded its balance to almost $2 million. Principal is maintained, and only the income from invested funds is used each year. The Endowment currently supports MLHS by providing funds for:
- General operating assistance
- Needs-based tuition assistance
- Tuition assistance for MLHS alum attending one of our pastor/teacher training colleges
- Capital improvement projects
A list of non-budgeted items is maintained to further support the academic, athletic, fine art, and other co-curricular program. Click at RIGHT for the current WishList.
The following fundraising and social events are available throughout the year:
- Lancer Classic Golf Outing. Every August brings alumni, parents, and friends of MLHS together for a day of athletic fun, food, and team camaraderie on on of Manitowoc County's finest golf courses. Proceeds benefit the MLHS Athletic Department.
- Flag Football Tournament. Every fall this tournament of alumni & friends offers the chance to relive a little of that "gridiron glory." Proceeds support the Lancer Football program.
- Homecoming. Every fall this football game provides a great opportunity to welcome back many of our 3,100+ alumni under the lights of Lancer Field. Class reunions are often scheduled around this weekend as well.
- Parent & Grandparent Day. Every November, we welcome parents & grandparents to shadow their Lancer student throughout the day. Eat lunch together, sit in on classes, even take a quiz or two! The MLHS family is real, and we strive to express our appreciation for their support of our students and make them feel part of this family!
- Alumni Basketball Tournament. Every November, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, brings back alumni to find their old shooting stroke, work out th kinks, and raise money for the Lancer Boys' Basketball tem.
- Sunday Showcase Auction. Every March MLHS' largest annual fundraiser descends on our campus. Live & silent auction items, dinner, musical entertainment, and children's games make this an event for the ENTIRE family. It's a great way to welcome people to our campus; provide the chance to purchase some great items including trips, theme baskets, sports memorabilia, & home decor items; and "showcase" the talents of our students.
Scott Reinhard, at firstname.lastname@example.org or
(920) 242-9204 for more information on anything you see here.